The Bluechermuseum of Kaub!  
     
 



The Bluecher museum was a former inn called "Zur Stadt Mannheim" and located in the street Metzgergasse 6. This house was the headquarter of Bluecher. He was a general (Feldmarschall) from Prussia and led the army (Schleßische Armee) in the attack against the French and Napoleon.

Old mail box on the way to the museum
The Entrance to the Blüchermuseum


On the way to the Blüchermuseum I saw this wonderful blue old mailbox, before arriving the entrance of museum...

The Castle and former toll station Pfalz 
                        at the community Kaub


In the week about new year in 1814 he and his army passed the Rhine at the toll station Pfalz.

The "Schleßische Armee" (army) crossed the river Rhine supported by 50.000 soldiers, 15.000 horses, and 182 canons.

The Castle and former toll station Pfalz 
                        at the community Kaub


Russian pioneers were able to build a swimming bridge called "Potonbrücke". The island with the Pfalz made it easier for them to pass the river really quiet by night.


The Russian pioneers cut trees in the wood and made boards of it. Then the boards were fixed to eachother to construct the framework for the Potons. They pulled several layers canvas and tar over the framework. The pioneers used tar to paint on ever layer of canva. The tar protected the Poton against the water and so they swam on the surface and did bear the whole bridge, while the soldiers were crossing the river Rhine.

The Pfalz at Kaub in the now days...


The French soldiers didn´t expect the Germans, because of shifting ice floes. All these things made passing the Rhine dangerous. All of the sudden they came over the Frenches and that was the most important part of the war, so the Frenches gave up and left the country.

In the Bluecher museum you can find old furnitures, items, tools, maps, letters and paintings about that time.

A tobacco box, the right glove, a folder for writing papers, the money-war-box as well as the empire-clock reminds the visitor for Blücher.

View on the river Rhine at the community Kaub.
                        In the background the Pfalz
Bluecher memorial near Bluecher museum


If you talk about the "Schleßische Armee" (army) you have to mention that the whole army consisted of 104.974 soldiers in the totale. Two thirds of them were Russian soldiers.

38.484 soldiers were lead by York and came from Prussia. The troop of Langeron (34.551 soldiers), troop of Sacken (18.353 soldiers) and the troop of St. Priest (13.586 soldiers) came from Russia.

The alliance between troops of Prussia and Russia made it easier to win the battle against the French troops of Napoleon.

In the August 1813 were 184.000 Russian soldiers in mission and spare troops of 112.000 soldiers in Poland increase the army up to 296.000 soldiers on German and Polish ground.

This was almost the same power than the army of Prussia with 300.000 soldiers in that time.

The infantry regiment of Langeron came from Jakutsk about 800 km far away from the Pacific ocean and 7.000 km far away from the river Rhine. It took about year to get the soldiers with 60 pounds a person to the Rhine.

Source homepage of Blüchermuseum comunity Kaub.
http://loreley.com/bluechermuseum/index.htm and
"Mit Blücher bei Kaub über den Rhein" by Bruno Dreier.

 
 
 
 
Back to Homepage